How "She's Dating the Gangster" Made This Blogger Aware of God's Surprises

Every time I watch a movie, I make it a point to look for two things: the redeeming factor and the Christ-figure. I know, movies are meant to be for entertainment, not to be scrutinized. Now, not all movies are the same, and like it or not, there are films which have that "Aha!" moment that you just can't help but discuss with your friends the merits of such films. And believe it or not, She's Dating the Gangster is one of them.


Yup, you read that right. But what can I do? The situation presented itself, so I sat down with everybody else and drank it all in.

I'm not going to write a review, if that's what you're thinking. There have been too many reviews written. What I am going to write about is how this movie has affected me in more ways than one.

SDtG is not your typical teen love story where boy-meets-girl, are drawn apart, then boy turns into a man and girls grows to become a woman. It is, however, an atypical love story. And by love story, I don't mean romantic love alone. The film transcends that, and ends in a very unlikely fashion. And that's when it tugs at the correct heartstrings, leading one to fetch a glass of water to pacify that hiccup which comes after an uncontrollable sob.

And there it is, right there—the Christ-figure, the redeeming factor. You recognize it, and it pulls out that sob from your gut. And then you reflect at how sacrificial love has to happen, otherwise, redemption wouldn't take place.

However, it doesn't have to stop at redemption. Something else has to take place. The redeemed has to do his part too. He has to open himself up, surrender, and be ready to receive his gift. The redemption isn't the gift yet. The redemption is just a precursor to what is to come. And what is it that is yet to come? We don't know… What we do know is that it's going to be grand!

Much like in our lives as Christians. Jesus died on the cross for you and me—that is Gospel truth. But if we do not acknowledge that, and receive Him as our personal Lord and Savior, what good did His crucifixion do us? If we do not open up, surrender, and become ready to receive this redemptive gift, how could we receive the grand plan He has in store for all of us?

Now you might ask, 'What does this have to do with decisions in ordinary life?' I can tell you, it does affect it—a lot! How? Well, let's just say if we do not recognize the Good Fridays in our every day life, how are we supposed to appreciate the Easters and the resurrection? If we are unable to acknowledge the dark night, how can we look forward to the dawn of a bright new morning? If we do not make peace with our past and the challenges or setbacks which came with it, how can we anticipate the opportunities and blessings that tomorrow will bring?

And so tonight, I make peace with the past and all the setbacks that came with it. I embrace it, along side the challenges I faced during that particular time. And then I face heavenward, and eagerly await with open arms as the floodgates of heaven pour down blessings after blessings.

Okay, Lord… surprise me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009