MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING


When I was in fourth grade, I knew what I wanted to be. A journalist. During summer vacation, I remember tearing away pages in my notebook that have been written on and keeping the blank ones. Then I would write stories on the blank pages. I don’t remember what stories I have written, but I do remember showing them to my dad. That was when he said, “Anak, I think you’re going to be a journalist when you grow up.”

In high school, my Tita Mary gave me a sketch pad. It was just a bunch of bond paper with green covers done in perfect binding. But I treasured that sketch pad. I would bring it to school every day, and while waiting for the teacher to arrive, I would draw my favorite cartoon characters on it. Sometimes, when the school bus was late, that sketch pad kept me busy. I must say I did some pretty neat pictures on that sketch pad, so I said to myself, “Maybe I could become an artist!”

But that didn’t happen after high school. I went to the State University for a degree in Biology (for this I give credit to my former teacher Miss Paez), but I didn’t get it. Somehow, I knew I wasn’t really cut out for that. Deep inside, I still wanted to become an artist.

A few years after another degree, I landed a job as an editorial assistant for my Mom’s favorite magazine. Finally, I was living my dream of becoming a journalist! I got to cover the Art & Culture and Entertainment beats, interviewed men and women celebrities. It was a very exciting job, and a very exciting year for me. After that, I became editor of my favorite magazine, and stayed for five years.

When I left the publishing world to go into fulltime community work, I found myself designing banners and brochures, covers of manuals and annual reports, as well as single-handedly putting together a quarterly newsletter. I began to dabble into web designing and video editing, too. And just recently, I got involved in the layout and design of a major coffee table book. Wow! It was just too much! Now, I’m an artist, too!

Looking back, I find it odd that I had fulfilled my first dream 11 years after high school, and my second dream nine years later. I keep thinking, had I been an artist since then, I could have been filthy rich by now, with all the money in graphic arts and advertising. I am forever wondering why God allowed me to realize my life dreams only now. It has been my frustration that I didn’t go into visual arts when I was in school. And for a long, long time, that dream of becoming an artist has buried under all those frustrations. Sometimes, I kick myself for not being brave enough to shift to Fine Arts or Visual Communications when I was in college.

But wait, all is not lost. I can still do that, can’t I? I can still go back to art school! My heart’s desire never left me after all! Now, instead of calling myself a frustrated artist, I could say I’ve resurrected the artist in me.

Stand back, folks. It’s time to make my dreams come true.

Comments

  1. Momoy! We're like peas in a pod! We both share a dream to become journalists and artists. I'm sure if our friends and acquaintances in college see us and know what we are up to, it may solicit raised eyebrows and unbelieving stares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! true, true... but one cannot contain talent my dear. our friends just have to live with that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:07 AM

    wow! you are one great writer! keep it up my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks doray! coming from you, it's a real compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dave? as in sfc dave? or is it someone else? anyway, thanks for checking out my blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009