Journeying Through Life on Two Wheels

Just recently, I was reintroduced to cycling. Two bully friends/ brothers (you know who you are!) pressured me to try riding out one evening, and since then, I was hooked!

My first ride

You know who you are!
Next thing I knew, I had Pinky Pop (and owed someone some money because he was the one who egged me to buy that pink foldie), plus the basic biking paraphernalia needed so I would be allowed to ride.

So far, I’ve ridden a total of almost 50 km in the 5 times I’ve gone out, half of which was due to the Good Friday Visi[kle]ta Iglesia I joined last week. Yup, you read that right—Visi[kle]ta Iglesia. It’s actually the traditional Visita Iglesia where people visit 7 Churches while remembering Christ’s passion and death through the Way of the Cross. The only difference is, we used our bikes to get to those 7 Churches.

I admit, I was nervous about riding through the streets of Quezon City. But then again, there were 17 of us, so I thought it would be safe and okay. Besides, Cyclists for Christ, the group I joined, had been doing this for the last 2 years, so I believed I would be in good hands.


The experience was truly a first, and since it was the Holy Week, the Way of the Cross through Visi[kle]ta Iglesia had a fresh meaning for me. But after the VI, aside from the spiritual fulfillment, the experience made me realize a few things about myself.

1. Kaya ko pala. It’s been decades since I hopped on a bike, and admittedly, I was nervous when I first rode again. But on the day of VI, I decided to go to the meeting place NOT via taxi but by bicycle! Well, since it was Good Friday, and early, I figured, there won’t be many cars or jeeps on the road, so why not? It took me 38 minutes to ride, the biggest hurdle being the flyover crossing Commonwealth Avenue. But hey, I had been initiated at Heartbreak Hill so no flyover is too hard!
2. Cyclists look out for each other. I was amazed by the system used by the VI veterans during the ride. There were hand signals, roles, and positioning of those with certain roles that made our ride safe and pleasurable. It was just not possible for us newbies NOT to follow and pass on the signals to those behind us. Those in front made sure I rode safe, so it is just and fair that I should make sure those riding behind me rode safe as well.
3. The only person who can stop you is yourself. Quezon City is basically hilly. There are ups and downs, but sometimes, there were more ups than downs. And there was no other way to get through the ups but to push yourself to pedal. And if one stops pedalling, he could either be left behind, or slow others down.
4. Riding makes one more aware of his surroundings. Cycling makes all our senses work. Well, maybe except for the sense of taste, but the rest—sight, smell, touch/ feel, hearing—are especially heightened. It is important that riders keep their eyes on the road, and listen carefully to the sounds around him to make him more alert about any trouble if any. Riding under the trees also makes me want to inhale more and just take in the fresh air around me. And the wind blowing as I ride—just makes me feel like I was flying!
5. At the end of the ride, there is always a reward waiting for you. The group rode for about 6 hours. The sun was beating down on all of us, and some public vehicle drivers were not exactly appreciative of having to share the road with bikers. So towards the end of the VI, everyone was just hungry and thirsty, and hot. But after the last church, an announcement came that a meal of champorado and tuyo was waiting for all of us. I think that was enough motivation for us to sing like Dory: “Keep on pedalling… keep on pedalling… keep on pedalling…”

But on a more serious (and spiritual) note, that Good Friday ride made me recognize that in trying something new, our fears will be overcome by our desire to go ahead and do it. We also just need to look around us and see people who have done the same thing and succeeded. In our faith walk, we need not look far. The life of Christ, plus the lives of the many saints and fellow pilgrims, can inspire us to push forward in our journey.

Also, even if renewal and transformation is personal, as Christians, we all need to look after one another. After all, we are our brother’s keeper. However, there will be times when we would feel weak and unable to carry on. There will be times when we would really need to stop. But through the encouragement of fellow pilgrims, we are able to regain strength and move further on.

My favorite realization, which I never fail to remind myself, is “In anything we do, we should always keep the end in mind”. Every project, every endeavor, every initiative has a beginning, middle and end. Keeping our eyes on the prize pushes us to go farther and farther until we reach the goal. Hopefully, in our faith walk, we keep the eternal perspective in mind as we follow Jesus and strive for holiness.

Cyclists for Christ
And of course, don’t forget to enjoy the sights, to stop and smell the flowers, say hello to fellow cyclists and wave to other drivers. We are all in a journey, though on different vehicles, but setting our sights on the same destination.

Till the next ride!

Comments

  1. Teacher2:59 PM

    Now you convinced me to buy a bike. Better check out Walmart. I wanted to do this last year but afraid I will just fall of my seat. Pray for me... happy for you. Now could it be possible to contemplate while riding a bicycle?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... Now that's for another reflection. Take care! Ride safe! God bless you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009