SUNNY DAY, KEEPING THE...


Guess what! I’m listening to Sesame Street classics as I write this blog. And I’m on a roll! Since Saturday, I had been reliving the good old Sesame Street days. I discovered YouTube.com and I searched for all my favorite SS video clips… and it definitely brought back happy memories of my childhood. See, I grew up on Sesame Street. I remember watching the stuff since I was 4 or 5 years old. I learned my alphabet and numbers and shapes and about sharing and cooperation from Sesame Street (remember the Gonk and the Giffle?). I witnessed Maria and David dating, Luis and Linda falling in love, Gordon and Susan being happily married, Kermit singing about not easy being green, Maria marrying Luis (whatever happened to David?!?), Mr. Snuffle-upagus appearing and disappearing, Super Grover not being able to fly because someone was stepping on his cape, Ernie and Bert arguing about anything, the amazing Mumford (a la peanut butter sandwiches!)… Man, I could go on and on!

But through the years, there were some episodes I missed like when the grown ups were explaining to Big Bird about Mr. Cooper’s death (Hooper! Hooper!). And I caught it on YoutTube. Oh it was such a sad clip! So sad I cried.

Not wanting to dampen my enthusiasm, I searched for other Sesame Street video clips and found… tadah! Ernie singing Rubber Duckie! And Bert doing the Coo-coo Pigeon. And the Alligator King with his seven sons, the ten tiny turtles on the telephone, the cute Martian with 9 ribbons of red on each of the 9 hairs on her head, the twelve ladybugs on a picnic, and the dainty lady singing, “It’s eleven o’clock in the morning. I heard eleven worms yawning…”

But that wasn’t enough. I went on watching the typewriter guy (Noony, noony, noo!), Cookie Monster singing C is for Cookie (that's good enough for me!), Oscar proclaiming his love for trash, the golden AN, Bob and his “Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?” segments, the whole gang singing What’s the Name of that Song? (La Dee Da Dee Dum, La Dee Da Dee Dum...). I was going crazy!

I guess I’ll never outgrow my love for Sesame Street. I doubt whether you have either. Somewhere, in the deepest recesses of our consciousness, there’s that part of us that will forever be connected, and forever be grateful, to Sesame Street. For sometime in our lives, every single day, we looked forward to this very familiar song that goes, “Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009