Care giver

Last night, while staring blankly on the images moving about on TV, I suddenly had a realization—all my life, I had been taking care of people. Being the eldest among four siblings, I had been expected to look after my younger brothers and sister since the start. I remember taking the three of them to school when I was in my senior year in high school. And staying home during weekends to wash our clothes, cook our meals, clean the house, etc. After my mom died when I was in second year, I took it upon myself to take care of the family, even my dad.

In college, it was the same. Although I lived away from my family, I was still the Ate (big sister) of everybody. My block mates relied on me for support—whether academically, morally, or sometimes financially. For them, I have always been the tough one, the shoulder to cry on even for one coño guy who couldn’t seem to survive the state university because he didn’t speak Tagalog.

I had always been the leader, the captain of the team, the take charge person who always knew what to do and say. But now, things seem different. All of a sudden, I slowed down from being the head of the pack. It seems that all I want now is for someone to take charge of me. Yes, I know that God is now the ruler of my life, but deep inside, I have this craving to be the recipient of something that I seemed to have run out of.

I do have friends who I know love me and care for me. However, maybe because I have always stood as everyone’s Ate that I failed to allow others show me love. That because I look so tough and capable of taking care of myself, other people think I am not in need of care myself. Or that they do not exactly know how to show me they care for me. Or maybe it’s just me—that I sometimes believe that I am not worthy of anybody’s love.

Uh-oh! Just this very moment, that last line up there really hit home. Here I am, telling other people how special they are because they are sons and daughters of God, and that they are beautiful because God created them when I myself doubt my true worth! I think I need to find out where that reaction is coming from. I need to seek the reasons why I have so many walls around me, why I built them in the first place and how I would be able to break those walls. Maybe after I find out, I would be able to allow others to really love me and care for me. Maybe others would then see that there’s a gentle side of me.

Wow, with all these impressions bottled up inside, I think I need a shrink to finally let them out. Seriously.

Comments

  1. The parallelisms in our life seem to continue on with this piece of yours.
    I remember when I went abroad, the first time. My friends at work told me that I would be able to adjust quickly since I was the tough one. That I had the tools for independent living. So they were not giving me that much support because they knew I could make it.
    They may be right in some ways but wrong in most of them. Even tough people need support. We need to experience the care of other people to make us feel human. That we are not devoid of feelings of insecurity, of self doubt, of hopelessness.
    How did I got a grip of the situation? A quick trip to Rome, Italy, the Vatican to be precise! I went to mass everyday, saw the Pope, pondered on the importance of Jesus in my life and literally soaked up the atmosphere! After this experience, I know I was ready for anything! c",)
    I might not have that much support from other people, but the ONE that mattered most IS STILL THERE. GLORY AND PRAISE TO YOU LORD JESUS CHRIST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dorsky!

    it's official: like people attract one another. it's like magnet, you know.

    but i'm glad to have you as my friend--one of the few who truly know me like the back of your hand.

    here's looking to a life-long friendship, mare!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009