SENTI TIME

I don’t know if anyone still uses the word “senti” (short for sentimental).  It was kinda popular during the late ‘90s.  Ngayon ‘ata “emo” na ang uso, ‘no?

Anyway, I was sick last weekend.  I rarely get sick, but when I do, it’s always on a weekend.  (Kaya nga hindi maubos ang sick leave ko eh!)  I just lay in bed all day Saturday and Sunday, surviving on a diet of congee and instant noodles (wala akong panlasa eh; everything was bitter to my taste!) while watching DVDs of Gilmore Girls – Season 7 and an assortment of movies.  It was while I was watching GGS7 that I had a craving for soft cinnamon rolls and pies and cakes and muffins.  But I couldn’t get out of the house, let alone buy these mouth-watering treats!  So I promised to reward myself as soon as I got well.

To cut the story short, I decided to rest until today (Monday) para naman masulit ang sick leave ko.  At around 2pm, I decided to go out for lunch (congee pa rin!), a quick trip to the grocery and to pay some bills.  And then I saw cinnamon rolls!  And coffee buns!  So I kept my promise to myself and bought some.  When I reached home, I brewed a mug of kapeng barako, set my cinnamon rolls on a plate and slowly ate away, savoring every bite.  But I was doing so, I suddenly felt senti.  I thought, I always took care of people.  My family, my friends, even those who are not very close to me.  But how come no one’s taking care of me?  And then I got more senti when I realized that although my house was exactly 60 paces away from the office, no one even bothered to come over at lunch time to ask me whether I’ve eaten or not!

I felt so kawawa!  And so I vowed to stop caring too much for people.  I vowed to stop thinking of what my housemates would eat (except for my cat Master Yoda), and to stop making their problems my own (which I tend to do sometimes).  And to cheer me up a bit, I got my inggo 1587* album and played it in my laptop while I finished my cinnamon rolls and coffee.

And then… guess what?  Someone actually told me he’ll take care of me, right there and then!  Inggo’s song titled I’ll Always Be There tugged all the right strings and by the second stanza, I was already crying like a baby.  Si Lord naman!  Kakainis!

I know God will always be there for me, but being human, I sometimes forget.  Or maybe, I tend to look for something tangible.  You know, like having an actual living, breathing, walking, talking human being showing me and telling me that I am cared for.  But I guess that’s what makes it difficult.  When people see you as someone strong and tough, I mean.  They think you need less attention than others.  Because they see you as someone who can handle everything.

Hay!  So much for being senti.  God has spoken.  And He speaks the truth… always.  If He says He’ll always be there, I know I can count on Him. 

*inggo 1587 is an all-priest band, all from the Dominican Order.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009