Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

It's 5:30am, I'm looking at my bike, thinking, "Should I really take this to Ortigas today?"

Us girls!
I'm a biker. Not the hardcore bike-to-work kind, but more of a weekend warrior. I've done city cycling, sometimes with a group, most of the time alone. I really want to take my bike to work, but I haven't gathered enough guts to actually do it. Why? I'm scared. Of what? Oh, just the buses, and trucks, and SUVs that bully you (yes, I've been bullied before).
Just this morning, I saw a Facebook post of a biker/ vendor who was a victim of hit-and-run. And that got me thinking if biking to work will really be worth it.

And then I remember the traffic—the miles and miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Not to mention the taxi fare I have to cough up if I take the cab from QC to Ortigas.

Metro Manila is notorious for being in the top ten cities with the worst traffic situation. I dread going through EDSA, taking the bus, getting on the MRT. Just the idea of doing any of that gives me nightmares.

But more than the fear of huge vehicles and traffic and the taxi fare, I guess what would make me go ahead and do it is the fact that I want change to happen. More than all those fears, some of which could be unwarranted, I guess I should be more afraid of the thought that I would regret not having even tried biking to work. After all, I believe in the saying, "Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan!" So, if I really want something to change, if I truly believe my actions can make a difference or at least contribute to something bigger and better, I would go ahead and do it. And trust that my guardian angels will keep me safe.

Ride and roll to world!

Comments

  1. Good job, Ate Alma! :) Nice piece. Ride safe! Worried din ako sa brother ko everytime he leaves for work (he bikes to work, actually) pero ipinagpapasaDiyos ko na lang talaga. Your guardian angels are always at work. Mama Mary too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aiza! Pasa-Diyos lang talaga, at ingat ng marami. Although I had a close call last weekend, pasalamat talaga ako kay God for protecting me. That's for another reflection though. Will post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up, Alma. And always stay safe on the road!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

REMEMBERING AUGUST 22

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009