The Ties that Bind, The Walls that Divide

Betrayal. You never see it coming. Even when it's there, dancing in front of your face.

Five years ago, a friendship blossomed between two women. They were the exact opposite of each other, but despite this, they got along pretty well. They were practically sisters! They shared the same room in a house, laughed and cried at the same movies, shared the same appetite for food, hung out together, stood up for each other--those sort of things.

But then, somewhere along the way, something terribly wrong happened. Suddenly, one of them lost her appetite for the things they shared. In the beginning, it was barely noticeable. But as time passed, one person decided to erect a great big wall between her and her friend.

Despite the presence of the "wall", the other friend ignored the gap. After all, they were like family. She reasoned that maybe, their priorities have changed. And inspite of the changes, she was confident that the ties of friendship still remain.

But she was wrong. For unknown to her, on the other side of the fence, the other girl was sharpening a pair of giant scissors. Day in and day out, she would take out the scissors, and hone its blades till they shone in the sun. Then she would test it by running it through the thick cord of friendship that went over the wall.

Finally, the scissors were at its sharpest. And confidently, the girl at the other side of the fence went up a ladder, carrying with her the shears. And with one blow, the ties that bind were cut. Triumphant, she stepped down the ladder and examined her handiwork. Satisfied, she returned the shears into its leather case and carried the shears inside.

Meanwhile, on the other side, the other woman noticed a thick black cord hanging limply on her side of the wall. She decided to investigate and found a rotting piece of the cord that used to cross over the wall. She gave it a soft tug and down it went, curling up like a dead snake on the ground in front of her. Instantly, she recognized what it was, and she became sad. This was the cord of friendship I shared with my friend from the other side of the fence, she thought.

And with a heavy heart, she picked up the dead cord, and buried it in her yard.

I didn't know how to express the demise of friendship, so I decided to do this piece. I am still hurting from the loss, but now, I realize that the pain isn't for what I have lost, but more for me and for what I have come to realize. Now I know why divorce was invented by man, and why God allowed it during Moses' time. There's just some things (and persons) that you can really do without. Enemies, I can live with. But false friends? I say, "Just get out of my life!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009