The Joy of (Grocery) Shopping

I just came home from the store. No, not the shoe store or the clothes shoppe. I went grocery shopping over at the neighborhood supermarket. A boring chore? Not really.

I remember when I was a little girl, when my mom took me grocery shopping. I have always been in awe of the wide aisles and the tall shelves. And what child wouldn't enjoy riding the grocery cart?

www.prevention.com
When I was younger (as in, much, much younger), my mom would just leave me by the comics shelf where Archie and Veronica and Betty would be waiting for me and go about her shopping. I guess it was a wise move, as I don't remember arguing with her about getting the chips I want or the candy I so desire.

Now that I do my own grocery shopping, I realized how much science goes into it. Everything starts with meal planning. Yes, meal planning. But wait, how on earth did meal planning get into the picture? Simple. If you don't plan your weekly meals, how would you know what to shop for?

But I only shop for toiletries and personal basics! I don't need to worry about meal planning!, you might argue. Trust me, whether you choose to remain single, live alone, stay with your parents or decide to marry and have kids, you will shop NOT JUST for personal stuff.

No matter how short it may be, you will, somehow, make your grocery list.
Somehow, you would dabble with the kitchen and believe me when I tell you that you would indeed plan your meals. And no matter how short it may be, you will, somehow, make your grocery list.

I am an impulse shopper, I know myself too well. If I don't make a list, I end up getting items I don't need. And if you don't want to end up like me, then by all means, make that list based on your meal plan. Don't forget to write down how much of each item you need, by the way. Otherwise, you might find yourself cooking for the entire barangay!


One thing that one should not forget to do during grocery shopping is to read the labels of the products. Do they have harmful ingredients? How much sodium does the food item have? Does the label say No Cholesterol or Zero Trans-fat? Is this brand worth every cent? Whatever we are shopping for, we should always get our money's worth.

Another thing I enjoy while doing my groceries is the cheap thrill of going to a new store and exploring the entire floor first before I actually pick up stuff. Also, I get a kick from asking the attendants for assistance, sometimes to find out how much they know where things are.

Now, where can I find those enoki mushrooms?
Rumor has it too, that the grocery store is the place where a single person can find romance. But that's another story. However, I have concluded that the grocery store is the place where kindness and courtesy abound. Haven't you noticed how polite people are while grocery shopping? And that's not just the merchandisers and cashiers and baggers, but everyone!

You could say the grocery store is a piece of heaven on earth. I guess that is why retail therapy makes one feel better (wink, wink!). But what does going to the grocery have to do with grace?


I believe that if we can be painstakingly concerned about how to go about a trip to the grocery, what more with our trip to eternity? Do we just go around in circles with grocery basket in hand? Or do we go about our business and lives with a purpose? Do we attack one aisle after another, aimlessly picking items and tossing them in the cart without considering the price or nutritional labels? Or do we weigh the pros and cons, discern and pray about our decisions? Are we courteous to the store staff, and treat them like it is their duty to be at our beck and call? Or do we treat everyone like a brother and greet each one in love?

Bottomline is, wise grocery shopping can be a walk in the park, just as long as we prepare for it and we don't get distracted. Same is true with our faith-walk, don't you agree?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009