The Trouble with Hello is Goodbye


But summer's not forevermore
No matter how we tried
The trouble with hello is goodbye...



I don't know if anyone reading my blog knows this song sung by June Christy way back in 1977. But no matter, the reason why this song popped into my head is because of the passing of two people who are not related to me, but whom I had a special connection to.

The first one, Tita Pilar, was the mother of my former boss. She was a quiet lady, and very prayerful. I always see her inside their gate whenever I pass by in the morning, or during lunch break, or the regular Tuesday Masses at their garage, or the weekly Feast in Camp Aguinaldo back then. She was a very simple lady. Her son used to talk about her all the time in his column, or his preaching. He fondly called her the president of his fans club.

Although my interaction with her was quite limited, there was one particular moment which I can never forget. It was a work day, and I got this phone call from her. My dad was in the hospital then, and I was looking for money to pay for his hospital bills. All she asked was how much more did I need to fill in what's lacking of the P75,000 hospital bills.

I told her how much, then she asked me to come to their house a few minutes later. And just like that, I was able to pay Dad's hospital bills. I couldn't remember if I had thanked her enough, but I hope I did.

The other person was Tito Ernie. I met him a couple of years ago. We were going to Baguio for the annual couples weekend conference. We brought 2 cars that day—one for the 3 couples and Tito Ernie, and one was for all their weekend stuff, the driver and me. However, the other car was quite uncomfortable sitting 7 people, so he opted to ride with the me and the driver and the luggage in the other car.

All throughout the 6-hour drive up to Baguio, Tito Ernie talked non-stop. He was so passionate about God and the community, and those were all he would talk about. He was one of the pioneers in our prayer community, and he shared with me a treasure trove of ideas that I felt like I just sat through an entire pastoral formation track. I found out he was also tech-savvy and a musician. I learned so much sitting throughout that trip that I would gladly do it again... if only I could.

There are people you meet and spend so much time with, and there are people who you only meet once, but never get the chance to see again. But no matter how much time you spend with them, be it 5 years or just a weekend, truth is, people will always have an impact on your life.

They could be quiet like Tita Pilar, or a non-stop talker like Tito Ernie. But whether they open their mouths or not, people will always leave a mark. And Tita Pilar and Tito Ernie certainly did, at least for me.

And that's where the trouble lies for me. I meet and get to know people, not thinking about the time when our paths will never cross again. I've always believed that saying "See you later!" feels much better than saying goodbye. But when that time comes, there is a sadness that goes with it. And I hate that feeling.

But I take comfort in what scripture says: "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself." (Philippians 3:20-21) The truth that we will all meet again in our heavenly home, where God has prepared a room for each of us is truly a blessed assurance.

And so, Tita Pilar and Tito Ernie, I will not say goodbye, just "See you later!", without sadness but with great expectations of our eternal destination. And now that you've gone ahead, I ask that you pray for me, and for all of us whom you have touched with your earthly presence.

Until we meet again in heaven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUSINGS OF A SOMETHING, SOMETHING

Facing vs. Choosing My Fears

Why I Won't Forget September 26, 2009